Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Barber Shop

Since moving away also meant that I no longer have my sisters/father/mother to give me haircuts periodically, it also necessitated finding somewhere to get my hair cut. As I do with most things, I turned to google to ade me in my search. One of the first results it brought up was this:


I highly recommend reading the entire article as it is very well written and explains the barber shop experience FAR better than I will ever be able to. But needless to say, this article inspired me to find a real barber shop, and not just a hair cuttery. My search yielded the following.


This traditionally styled barber shop is set up in the very quaint and attractive shops on Providence Main Street. I intend to visit this area more in the future...but more on that another time.

When you first walk in, the first thing that strikes you is the smell. It smells like man. A pleasant mixture of aftershave, shaving cream and even a touch of alcohol. (they serve you drinks while you wait) The next thing you realize is that all the people waiting are men. Pretty cool. Give them your name, and they'll give you a time slot. Once you're in the chair, the experience begins. After a brief consultation on what you would like done, the cut begins. Using a combination of scissors, combs, and clippers, your hair is slowly tamed and shaped into a respectable state of being once more. But that is only the beginning, my friend. next a hot, lightly scented towel is brought and wrapped around your face and neck while your hair receives a thorough washing, followed by a complete scalp massage. ooo, life is good. After the wash and scalp massage the towel is removed and you sit back up feeling quite refreshed. But wait, theres more. Using a traditional straight blade razor, your neck and sideburns are trimmed into tip-top shape, followed by a neck and shoulder massage. You pay the smiling clerk and walk out of the barber shop feeling like a new man.

All in all it was completely worth the 24 dollars of my hard earned money. I feel fairly confident that the next time I am in need of a haircut, I'll find my way back to Providence and Roosters.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

The smiling clerk thinking...money, money, money!!!!!!

Peter said...

sounds fun. i have to admit, just getting my hair cut by a professional was worth paying money. I imagine the experience of an actual barber shop would be even awesomer, though I doubt there's anyone around here who would do it for $24. =(

Johanna said...

Um, Peter... I'm offended.