Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Anger

I consider myself a rational person. I generally have the ability to discuss and debate issues without getting too emotionally involved or taking personal offense. But lately I find myself struggling more and more with the temptation of being angry at those who disagree with me, particularly when it comes to politics. I know why it is.

I'm not tempted to get angry at someone who doesn't know any better, or is simply confused. What makes me angry is willful ignorance and refusal to deal with obvious truth. It makes me particularly angry if someone else's willful ignorance drags others around them into disaster. and why does that bother me? I think at the root of it is the fact that they are clinging to an ideology that is diametrically opposed to my beliefs. That is really what willful ignorance is. It's holding on to an idea or principle so tightly that you ignore obvious truth. Ultimately people are willfully ignorant because they would rather accept the consequences of their ideas than face the consequences of admitting that they were wrong. It's what the Bible calls foolishness.

That refusal to hear reason is really what angers me. It's like trying to convince a brick wall that it's been build crooked. It will not hear you, and will not be convinced until it finally collapses under the weight of it's own faulty foundation.

But why does the refusal to hear reason bother me so much? I think it comes down to my own pride. By refusing to hear reason, they are essentially refusing to recognize my relevance, or even my existence. That is why I have no problem discussing things and debating things with someone who really wishes to discuss and debate. There is a mutual recognition there that the other person's ideas and arguments are relevant, even if I do not agree with them.

So what's the right response? Well, it's not anger. That's for sure. Anger just provides them opportunity to attack you and turn it against you. I think there is a time to walk away from an arguement, which I'm not very good at. It comes back to what proverbs says about answering a fool according to his folley. At times it is necessary in order to rebuke him and (hopefully) teach him wisdom. But if you allow him to pull you into his arena, then you will only hurt yourself and your cause.

No comments: